The Barn at the Homestead

The Barn at the Homestead

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Identity: Intercessor

Image may contain: stripes and indoor
COVID-19 knitted shawl

..prosper the work of our hands;
  proper our handiwork.  Psalm 90:17b

     It is difficult for me to believe that it is May 21; time seems to be moving on.  The seasons change; life moves on; gardens grow, and hearts grow weary of this COVID-19 world.  Each day we are presented with facts and figures that often dazzle and confuse us.  Some of them are sobering; and some perhaps, we'd rather not know!
     During these last few months, as I continue to form my retirement identity, it has become very apparent to me that one of my roles is that of Intercessor.  The life of prayer is a privilege; and a responsibility.  As a professed member of the Third Order, Society of St. Francis, daily office is a part of my rule of life.  This also includes prayers of intercession.  We have been given much to pray for in the past few months.
     One of the things I have noticed is how active my hands have become as I pray for others.  As I garden, knit, pray with the rosary, even knead bread dough, it is prayer that becomes the work of my hands.  It is, as Paul tell us, to pray without ceasing.
     The past few months have also given way to learning new things.  Recently, thanks to a friend in England, I have learned of slow stitching.  You can learn more about slow stitching here: https://www.craftschooloz.com/slow-stitching

     For the foreseeable future, I will take this role of intercessor very seriously.  It is important in our life together.  And, as my hands garden, knit, bake or stitch, I will be asking God to not only be present with those for whom I pray, but also to prosper the work of my hands... to prosper our handiwork.


1 comment:

  1. Yes , so much to pray for .... sigh .... but so much to give thanks for too . I took a quick look at the craftschool of oz/slow stitching you put the link on for and the pictures I see there are very much what slow stitching is all about and I love it ! I also love your pretty shawl :) x

    ReplyDelete