The Barn at the Homestead

The Barn at the Homestead

Saturday, April 13, 2019

Purple Hearts

     Retirement brings needed time to sort through the material goods of ones life in addition to all of the memories collected.  Cleaning out, spring cleaning; no matter what you call it, it is the sifting and sorting of things.  My father was a decorated Navy Captain; he served in World War II, Korea and in Viet Nam.  Recently in sorting through some very old things, I came across memorabilia that was Dad's.  Beyond reminiscing, it set me to thinking:  about life, honors, and purple hearts.

Purple Heart
     I set to look up Purple Hearts as awarded to those in the military.  I learned a few things: the idea of purple hearts originated with George Washington, but it was on the 200th anniversary of his birth it was revived and given the name of Purple Heart.  It bears an image of Washington and is awarded those military veterans injured while in service to our country. One online site says, "A symbol of sacrifice."

     About the same time I found some of Dad's honors, I also discovered a pattern for knitting hearts.  I thought of all those who sacrifice in so many ways but never receive much notice: garbage collectors, stay-at-home mothers, teachers, clergy.  As I began to knit, I found myself drawn to purple yarn.  Yes, yes--others deserve a Purple Heart.

    My knitting is slow--but there are those in my life who are worthy of a Purple Heart.  It won't be one with Washington's image, but it will be in recognition of the sacrifice you have made on behalf of my life by picking up my garbage, by teaching little ones so well, by the prayers you have offered on my behalf.  Be on the look out...a Purple Heart, knitted with love may be coming your way.

     

1 comment:

  1. You must be so proud of your father , gosh they went through so much didn't they ? This is a lovely idea ! :)

    ReplyDelete